See that date? It’s May 1st! Even if you’ve been self-isolating for the past 90 days in a cave, you still know that with the start of May, summer (un)officially begins! But with Beijing (as with the rest of China) slowly waking from its pandemic-induced slumber, it can be a bit difficult to know what is on offer to you to learn, explore, taste and engage with in terms of culture.
To address that, Cultural Keys has asked some of the city’s best activity providers what they have in store for everyone. Read on to find out the best ways to culturally immerse yourself this month!
Live a better life in Beijing by learning the language with Hutong School!
As we head into May (can you believe it!?) we think it’s about time to bring a sense of normality back to our lives. And what better way than restarting Chinese classes?
2 for 1 Happy Month for April and May
We all love a happy hour, but what about a happy month? For every 2 hours of offline group or private classes you take during April and May*, you will receive a voucher for 1 additional hour on us. At Hutong School, every hour is a happy hour!
*This applies only to hours purchased and taken on the month of purchase
Money Back Guarantee
We know that this period has been hard on everyone and has left a lot of uncertainty in its wake. That’s why we are offering a full money back guarantee on any bookings made during this special period. So, if you change your mind or need to leave, you can rest assured you’re safe with us.
If you are unable to continue your classes with us in Beijing, don’t forget you can always transfer your hours to another branch, or online with our new app.
To sign up and redeem your discounts, please get in touch with our Education Coordinator Angelina @ email – [email protected] or WeChat – ange_lee.
We’re happy to see things starting to return to normal here in China, and we hope that the rest of the world will soon follow. In the meantime, stay safe and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Refresh yourself with a world of Beijing sights and tastes on a tour with Lost Plate!
BEIJING NEIGHBORHOOD FOOD TOUR
Visit Lost Plate’s hood! This brand new food tour visits the area around their office and features the team’s favorite spots to grab food during and after work. This walking food tour visits 4 restaurants and 1 bar, plus some surprises. Food and drinks, including alcohol, are included at each stop.
Need to know
- Stops: Try over 10 of Lost Plate’s favorite dishes at 4 sit-down restaurants & 1 local bar. Food and drinks are included at each stop, including alcoholic beverages.
- Start Location: Shichahai Subway Station, Exit C. Full details and directions will be provided by email immediately after booking.
- End Location: At a local bar near Andingmen Subway Station.
- Dietary Requirements & Allergies: This tour is vegetarian friendly, but please note substitutions are not available for every dish. You must notify us of any dietary requirements prior to your tour date. Same-day requests cannot be guaranteed.
- Child prices are valid for children between the ages of 4 through 15. Three and under free.
What to expect
- Explore the neighborhood surrounding Lost Plate’s office to try their favorite dishes and restaurants that we visit regularly. This is a unique way to discover some new spots vetted by the local team!
- Walk through Beijing’s historic center and enjoy views of popular landmarks such as the Drum Tower.
- Slurp down a bowl of Sichuan-style noodles at our favorite nearby noodle shop.
- Enjoy an array of meats and vegetables at a do-it-yourself Beijing hotpot joint.
- Try a number of dishes at one of their favorite local restaurants with a view!
- Down a drink over at the team’s local bar.
- Plus a few more surprises!
Available daily at 6pm
This tour is currently running in small groups of 5 or less. Please contact us directly if you would like to make a private tour booking, which is offered at no additional charge.
Offer: 400RMB/adult (Original 560RMB/adult)
INSTAGRAMMABLE PHOTO WALK OF BEIJING!
Up your Insta-game while exploring both old and new Beijing with a local guide. On this walking tour, your guide will show you the best spots, angles, and poses to capture incredible Insta-worthy photos at multiple destinations around the city. Editing and filter suggestions will also be provided after the photo walk. No special equipment is needed for this tour.
Need to know
- Stops: Walk through 3 distinct destinations to take photos from multiple angles. One destination has Insta-friendly food & beverages available for purchase at your own expense.
- Start Location: Chaoyangmen Subway Station, Exit G. Full details and directions will be provided by email immediately after booking.
- End Location: Sanlitun Taikooli, near Tuanjiehu Subway Station.
- Equipment: No special equipment is needed for this tour. Most guests use their mobile phones to take pictures. Cameras of any kind are also welcome and your guide can help you take photos.
What to expect
- Explore both old and new neighborhoods on Beijing’s east side with a local guide who has found all of the best photo spots and poses!
- Start at the most photogenic building in Beijing from a secret angle you’ll never find on your own.
- Visit one of Beijing’s most historic parks and head straight to our favorite areas to capture unique sights straight from the Ming Dynasty.
- Try a few special snacks that will have your Insta friends drooling with jealousy.
- Finish with a drink and a rooftop view, a perfect place to snap some special shots and get editing advice from your guide.
- Food & beverage is optional and at each guest’s expense. The estimated cost is 60-140 RMB per person. You are welcome to share.
- Plus a few more surprises!
Available every Wednesday & Sunday, starts at 2pm
This tour is currently running in small groups of 5 or less. Minimum 2 pax is required.
Offer: 99RMB/pax (Original 185 RMB/pax)
For more information, visit Lost Plate’s website or contact them on WeChat (156 9210 9030).
See Beijing new and old on a unique bike tour with beloved Beijing experts BElectric!
You haven’t seen (or experienced!) Beijing until you have seen it by bike! And who better to do that with than Beijing’s e-biker extraordinaire Dominic De Cuoto and BElectric e-bike City Adventures!
“How much of Modern Beijing have you seen? And have you ever experienced it by riding an electric bike?!
See an iconic part of not just Beijing, but China, on our Old Beijing eBike experience!”
At BElectric, the team are offering a 25% discount off both their new ‘Old Beijing’ and their new ‘Modern Beijing’ eBike experiences. “This will be running until Beijing vibes are back to normal. Until then, come and enjoy seeing and learning about the amazing things we have in Beijing!”
Email: [email protected]
WeChat: Scan the QR below or search for BElectric
Dig deeper in to Chinese culture with activities from Cultural Keys!
For the 4th month straight, Xiaopu Village in Songzhuang District, where the Cultural Keys Chinese Culture Centre is located, is still pretty much on lockdown, making it very difficult for anyone who’s not a resident to come in. That of course means that our usual cultural activities (calligraphy, painting and such) are still on hold.
But that doesn’t mean we have nothing coming up!
Starting after the holidays, we have both presentations and in person workshops. In May you can look forward to;
May 14th – The 12 Animals of the Chinese Zodiac online presentation
May 22nd – Introduction to Traditional Chinese Medicine online presentation
May 24th – Beginners Shaolin Kung Fu Workshop in Ritan Park
All through May – Special offer on private kung fu workshops
For more information about these programs, or to confirm your place, email us at [email protected] or add AJDonnelly on WeChat. We would love to have you join us!
So, that’s a lot to choose from in Beijing this May, from a lot of great companies! Things to see, things to taste, things to learn and things to experience. Does something in particular grab your attention? Or there there other cultural activities you’re still craving? Let us know in the comments below, or on Facebook, Instagram or LinkedIn. Have a question about anything Cultural Keys related? Use the contact form at the bottom of the page. However you choose to get in contact, we always love hearing from you!
– Cultural Keys, Hutong School, Lost Plate, BElectric
Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post. No company or individual whose articles we share are paid, nor is Cultural Keys paid to share their contributions. Some of the organisations whose articles and information we post are partners of Cultural Keys, some are not. All contributions are assumed to be the original work of the submitting company or organisation. Neither Cultural Keys nor any of our staff, partners or associates accept any liability for the opinions, information or advice shared in these articles. Articles may have been lightly edited for length and clarity.
Are you interested in learning more about the traditional culture of China, and perhaps experiencing it for yourself? Since 2013, Cultural Keys Chinese Culture Centre has been helping people doing exactly that.
Through our provision of content, classes, information and services, Cultural Keys helps people access, understand and experience the traditional culture of China, from kung fu to calligraphy, feng shui to painting. Click here to read more about Cultural Keys and what we can do for you, your school, company or organisation to help you get more out of your time in China.
For more information about anything on this page, please contact us or use the form below to let us know your specific requirements. We look forward to hearing from you!