Summer is officially here. But does that bring you joy, or dread? For too many of us, the past few months have been an extended hibernation period, as we have sheltered ourselves away in the safe, reassuring comfort of our homes and sofas. But that time is done. It’s now time to reawaken the mind and body and prepare for the path ahead.
And what better way to do that than on a Cultural Keys Warriors’ Workshop?
What is the CK Warriors’ Workshop?
Training Shaolin martial arts develops confidence, spirit, willpower, determination and strength, to name just a few of its benefits. The Cultural Keys Warriors’ Workshop for beginners is a 2-hour, one-time class designed to allow everyone, regardless of age, level of experience or fitness, to be able to experience what traditional Shaolin martial arts training involves, and to see what benefits can be gained from long-term training.
You will sweat. You will burn. You will experience new ways of using your body. You will probably want to stop, but will carry on regardless. And after just 2 hours of training, you will definitely have a better idea of what Shaolin kung fu is!
What kind of training is done?
Across the 2-hour workshop, a variety of training methods will be practiced, including:
– Shaolin-style HIIT cardio
– Shaolin stretching routine
– Shaolin fundamental stance training
– Shaolin punching and kicking techniques
– Technique applications
Participants will also learn a short Shaolin routine. The session will end with a qigong breathing warm-down.
Who is the CK Warriors’ Workshop suitable for?
While everyone eligible (8 years and older) is very welcome to join this one-time workshop, the program is especially suitable for people with no experience in martial arts, who are looking to try Shaolin training to see if it is suitable for them in the long term.
We welcome children (8+) to the workshop, particularly those training with their parents.
There will be no sparring during this workshop, and it is not a ‘fighting’ class. There will be no competition between participants, but there will be some light contact while training. While all fitness levels are welcome, do please note that if you are extremely unfit, it may limit your ability to fully benefit from the workshop.
Please note: Cultural Keys accepts no responsibility for your personal health or ability to undertake this workshop. If you think that your health might be a concern during this workshop, please consult your health care provider to determine if this workshop is suitable for you before signing up.
What else do I need to know before signing up?
The Cultural Keys’ Warriors’ Workshop is for beginners, but is also an intense martial arts workout. By joining this event, you understand and agree to the following:
1) You don’t need any experience or high fitness to join this class. But you are expected to give 100% effort!
2) This workshop is suitable for beginners, and for adults and children 8+. But it is a traditional Shaolin-style workshop, which means it is strict and students are expected to give 100% effort.
3) All students are expected to show discipline, focus, to listen and to show respect to the teacher.
4) There is ZERO competition, but you are expected to give 100%, whatever your level is.
5) Younger students won’t be expected to train as hard or as focused as the adults, but everyone will be expected to take the class seriously.
6) No praise is given in a Warriors’ Workshop. You will not be congratulated for working hard, but you will be pushed to work harder! If you don’t like being told to train harder, then please don’t sign up!
7) The traditional Shaolin way of training, and teaching, is completely different to most martial arts classes in Western countries. Please do not come expecting a relaxed workout, or fun socialising event. You will be pushed for the entire class, and will be expected to train throughout, at whatever level you can best push yourself to.
8) Children 14+ are welcome to train alone. Children 8-14 must train together with an adult.
9) Bring a towel, water and item with sugar in it, and wear loose clothing and flat shoes.
We want as many people as possible to experience and benefit from this kind of training, but you must be willing to make the effort to do so. Everyone is welcome, and no one will be judged. But please be ready to work hard!
If you are unable to accept the above conditions, please do not sign up for this workshop.
What are the full details of the workshop?
Date: Saturday June 20th 2020
Time: 5pm – 7pm
Location: Ritan park
Places: Limited to 8 people
Cost: Adults 150RMB | Children 100RMB
Dress code: Participants should wear comfortable, loose clothing and light, flat shoes
Registration: Sign-up and payment required in advance. Please scan the QR code on the poster to sign up or ask questions.
Please note: This workshop will take place outdoors, in a public space. Onlookers are likely. Cultural Keys will take photos of the training, which will be sent to participants after the workshop ends. We are unable to issue refunds once your booking is confirmed. In case of rain, the workshop will be rescheduled for the Sunday evening.
What have other people said about the CK Warriors’ Workshop?
See more reviews for our kung fu programs, and everything else Cultural Keys offers, on our TripAdvisor page here.
Sound like something you want to try? Don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any questions. We look forward to training with you!
– Cultural Keys
Stay up-to-date with the latest offers, information and events from Cultural Keys. Follow our Official WeChat Account by scanning the QR code (click for larger image), or follow us on Facebook, Instagram or LinkedIn to be the first to know!
For more information about anything on this page, or for more information about Cultural Keys, please contact us or use the form below to let us know your specific requirements.
About Cultural Keys Chinese Culture Centre
Cultural Keys helps people access, understand and experience the traditional culture of China. Click the image to read more about Cultural Keys and what we can do for you, your school, company or organisation to help you get more out of your time in China!